Compliance and enforcement policy
Energy Safety will continue to develop and implement a compliance and enforcement strategy based on known risk areas and current statistical data to support the Regulations with a view to influencing safe outcomes from the distribution and use of electricity and gas.
We will conduct audits of electricity and gas suppliers, networks, distribution systems, installations, and appliances, and actively target non-compliance to facilitate public safety outcomes.
- Continue to implement a targeted, risk-based audit and compliance programme to ensure products comply with safety standards and have required supplier declarations.
- Audit electrical and gas networks, distribution systems, installations, and appliances.
- Continue to support and encourage the use of robust self-audit protocols:
- for SMSs by electricity and gas supply system operators and works operators; and
- for suppliers of electrical and gas products to meet essential safety requirements.
- Strengthen the quality of service delivery and expectations for third-party electricity and gas safety practitioners engaged to carry out external investigations.
- Continue to work proactively with international regulators, particularly Australian States and Territories to share information, work on joint Standards and best practices that achieve compliance and safety outcomes
- Continue to work with manufacturers, importers and retailers through the audit process, to implement proactive education strategies and audit programmes that enhance our effectiveness as a safety regulator.
- Continue to work with online venues, their sellers and members to encourage good business practice through compliance and risk management