Service and product complaints
How to complain about sub-standard energy work, faulty energy appliances or energy companies.
Energy products and companies
- Problems with energy products should first be sorted out with the licensed worker or retailer using the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act. The Citizens Advice Bureau can provide further advice (0800 367 222).
- If you believe there is a direct safety issue with an electrical or gas product (especially if it is a generic problem) then you should also advise Energy Safety.
- If you have a complaint about an energy company you can contact the Electricity and Gas Complaints Commissioner (EGCC) Scheme. The EGCC can look at almost any complaint about an electricity or gas company. You do not have to be a customer to make a complaint. (0800 22 33 44)
Further information about the Consumer Guarantees Act is available on the Consumer Affairs website.
- If you have a problem with electrical work done in your home, first discuss it with the licensed electrical worker or company who did the job. You then may have remedy under the Consumer Guarantees Act (see above).
- If you are still unhappy, you can lay a formal complaint with the Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB) or call 0800 66 10 00.
- If you have a problem with gasfitting work done in your home, first discuss it with the licensed gas worker or company who did the job. You may be able to settle the dispute using the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act (see above).
- If you are still unhappy, you can lay a formal complaint with the Plumbers Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board (PGDB) online or call 0800 743 262.