Home > Forms and databases > Which notification form should I complete?
Document Actions

Which notification form should I complete?

The interactive tool below is a quick way to get an indication of which notification form you need to complete.

To begin using this tool, select ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to answer the first question. Depending on your response we will ask you some further questions, or a statement will appear indicating which form you should complete.


Are you notifying us of an event involving gas or electricity that has resulted in physical injury or property damage?

Is this a new notification?

Does this event involve a worker or has it occurred in a workplace?

  • Yes: If this event is a workplace accident please ring 0800 030 040 and select Option 1.
  • No

Do you wish to follow up an accident notification with further details?

Please enter your details in the Event Notification form.

This will be entered directly into the Energy Safety system. If this is an accident involving serious harm or significant property damage an Energy Safety Technical Officer should contact you shortly. Otherwise contact will be made during business hours.

Do you wish to make a complaint about a gas or electrical product? OR notify us of an unsafe gas or electrical installation?

Product complaint

Problems with energy products or services should first be resolved with the retailer or service provider using the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act.

The Citizens Advice Bureau can provide further advice, ph 0800 367 222.

However if you believe there is a direct safety issue with an electrical or gas product (especially if it is a generic problem) then you should also advise Energy Safety. Use this form if you think there is a safety, supply quality or measurement problem with your energy product or appliance that Energy Safety should know about. This might include things like:

  • A design or manufacturing fault.
  • A problem with inadequate instructions or markings.
  • Poor energy quality supply that affects an appliance.

Go to Product Appliance Complaint form

An Unsafe Installation

If you are a layperson and you believe that your installation or appliance is dangerous, you should immediately turn off the appliance or energy supply and contact a licensed energy worker. More information on living safely with gas and living safely with electricity is available on this website.

If you are an energy worker and you believe you have identified an installation where there is an immediate, existing danger (that is, where the actual danger to life or property, if not averted, would result in harm to people or property in the immediate future) then you have a duty to report it.

In such situations, the energy worker should immediately inform the owner or occupier and seek permission to make the scene safe. They should only then contact Energy Safety. It is important to note that the Energy Safety is not an emergency service.

A good practice guide for gasfitters dealing with how they should respond to installation faults they discover is available on this website.


Go to Installation Fault Notice form

Last updated 11 March 2015